- International Psychotherapist, PhD (licensed in GA, FL, & CA)
- Clinical Hypnotherapist - C.Ht
- Congressional Award Winning Advocate & Speaker of Foster Children
- From Foster Care to FABULOUS: An Imperative Movement
- Maximize Your Super Powers Vol. 1
- The 6-Figure Blueprint
- Ripping Gripping Fear Out of Your Story!
- December 2020 book release with James Malinchak
- Emancipating From the Care of Strangers: The Experiences, Insights and Recommendations of Eleven Former Foster Kids
- Other Online Publications:
- Jewels for Success: A Profound Conversation
- The SECRET to Dramatically Improving Your Life
- Foster Care Alumni: A qualitative inquiry of protective factors for healthy and effective adulthood
- Founder: Fostering Hearts and Homes Foundation 501(c)(3)
- Creator of The 6-Figure Blueprint Online Course: Mind, Mission, Money
- "Ask Dr. Cruz" Monthly Columnist for Foster Focus Magazine
- Founder of the Personal Growth Literacy Program for Foster Youth
- Founder of "Ask-Capri" web-based series
- Substance Abuse and Domestic Violence Counselor
- Certified Neuro-Linguistic Practitioner (NLP) and Master Life Coach
- Adjunct Facilitator, Workshop Trainer
- Real Estate Agent and Investor
- Retired U.S. Navy
- FDIC Research Analyst
CHRONOLOGICAL PROFESSIONAL EXPERIENCE
Psychotherapist, Hypnotherapist, & Private Practice (2018-current)
- Psychotherapist licensed in GA, FL, and CA
- Hypnotherapist (in person and/or via Zoom video platform)
- Mental health therapist serving civilian and military individuals, children and couples: adults, teens, and children with various everyday challenges to include daily life stress, mental health and personality disorders. Assignments included adult MFLC, CYB, and DODEA school system.
- Germany, UK, Okinawa, Guam
- Clinical responsibilities included crisis intervention, group, family, and individual counseling
- Experienced psychosocial assessments, diagnosing, and treating a broad range of psychiatric conditions to include personality, mood, and substance use disorders
- Knowledgable of evidence-based practices and psychotherapy research methods
- Member of a highly interactive multidisciplinary team; dedicated to teamwork
- Excellent interpersonal and professional communication skills
- Committed to the highest level of quality of service, professionalism, and ethical integrity
- Provided psychoeducation trainings to patients
- Keller Williams Agent
- Private investor
- Rehabber and wholesaler
- Researcher: Southeast region's real estate economy
- Created charts, graphs, and presentations using Excel and Powerpoint
Topics include: Personal growth and development, productivity strategies, motivation, social skills development, goal achievement, real estate 101, wealth building, and more. Speaker and workshop facilitator for the Department of Families and Children Services (DFCS) Independent Living Program for over 225 youth and several group homes. Topics include mental health, the power of mindset, employment strategies, nutrition/fitness, self-esteem, basic life skills (i.e. self-love, effective communication, etc), goal setting, entrepreneurship, personal development, overcoming life’s hardships, anti-drug campaign, and other related issues.
- 2016 - I WILL SURVIVE Inc.
Selected for OPTIMUM: Women's Leadership and Development Conference
- 2015 - NAMI Women's Empowerment Day
- 2014 - 4th Annual Helping Women Succeed Conference
Foster Mother and Daughter Day Luncheon for Creative Community Services
- 2013 - Empowerment Speaker to foster children
- All populations, adult and children, including entrepreneurs, corporate employees, foster children, military, etc.
- Mental health therapist serving adults with anxiety, depression, work related stress, relationship problems, weight loss, and personal grief.
- Mental health therapist for two group homes and numerous children in foster homes. Clinical modalities: Cognitive Behavioral Therapy (CBT), Trauma Focused CBT, Rational-Emotive Behavior Therapy, Art and Play Activities, Family Systems, Narrative Therapy, Solution Focused Brief Therapy, Client-Centered, Guided Imagery, Mindfulness, among others. Conducted individual, group, and family therapy. Documentation via Sharenotes. Case coordination with DFCS and CASA, provided court testimony, created treatment plans, and conducted consumer assessments: Biopsychosocials, and Mental Status Exams/Intakes.
- Facilitated nine groups per week, three of which were intensive outpatient, four detox, and two progression groups. Responsible for daily group notes, behavioral intakes, mental health status exams, treatment plan creation, individual counseling, probation coordination, DFCS liaison, preliminary co-morbid diagnosing, and urinalysis drug testing. Applied a variety of therapeutic techniques unique to each client needs. Coordinated with supportive housing and employment offices for clients needs. Worked amongst a team of counselors, doctors, nurses, and staff for behaviorally disabled clients.
- Co-facilitator and counselor for 40 rotating substance abuse recovering personnel using the 12 step Alcoholic Anonymous principles and CBT. Performed substance abuse screenings, intake interviews, biopsychosocial assessments, educational presentations, individual and group counselings, conducted play activities during therapy with the resident’s children, created case notes, and filed all clinical documents for continuity and accreditation purposes. Monitored quality of addictions rehabilitation activities improvement, attended weekly treatment meetings with staff to include a psychiatrist, clinicians, medical personnel, and other non-clinical staff. Researched diagnoses in the DSM-IV-TR, and created treatment plans.
- Co-facilitator with a licensed psychologist conducting group therapy for two separate male and female domestic abuse groups and a co-ed substance abuse group. Group discussions included education pertaining to the short-term and long-term effects of substance abuse, the local probation regulations, client’s day-to-day real life issues, anger management, conflict resolution, emotional intelligence, understanding the opposite sex and their communication habits, goal setting and execution, personal responsibility, blame, minimization and numerous related topics.
- Member of a five person team, collaborated together on creating highly effective curriculum content for the initial stand-up and continuous implementation of a enterprise-wide analysis and reporting training course. Conducted over 100 hours of podium-based instruction, which focused on adult learning principles. Developed and maintained tests and training aids. Maintained detailed metrics to track and improve processes. Created lesson plans, formal instruction, power point presentations, and certified co-workers.
- Supervised 80 personnel. Created standard operating procedures for various operational needs and personnel security requirements. Tracked and monitored attendance, vacation, training, qualification, and other administrative career developmental correspondence. Managed yearly evaluations and awards. Additional work details upon request.
Automobile University 2007-current
SPECIALIZED CLINICAL TRAINING
- 31st Annual International Trauma Conference on The Interplay of Neuroscience, Embodiment, and the Regulation of the Self, hosted by the Trauma Research Foundation and Bessel van der Kolk
- "Working with the Pain of Abandonment", hosted by The National Institute for the Clinical Application of Behavioral Medicine
- "Clinical Application of Compassion", hosted by The National Institute for the Clinical Application of Behavioral Medicine
- Hypnosis: (1) Healing the Inner Child
- NLP (Neuro-Linguistic Programming)
- Master Life Coach
- Master Storyteller Designation
AWARDS and APPOINTED POSITIONS
Military Award for mental health services rendered 2018
"I AM" Award 2015
Certificate of Appreciation; Creative Community Services 2014
Congressional Citation for Foster Youth Advocacy 2013
Toastmaster’s Best Speaker Award 2013
Employee of the Year and several Quarters, U.S. Navy 1994/2004
2016 - Collected and donated clothes for foster children, Georgia
2015 - Habitat for Humanity, Georgia
2014 - DFCS Speaker and workshop facilitator, Georgia
2014 - Steve and Marjorie Harvey "Girls Rule the World" Foundation, Georgia
2014 - Life Skills class for foster youth, Georgia
2014 - Stress Management workshop facilitator for ILP, DFCS foster children, Georigia
2012 - All Kids Count Fundraiser Golf Tournament, Georgia
2009 - Youth Challenge Academy (mentored 3 adolescents), Georgia
2007 - D.A.R.E. camp leader for youth, Hawaii
2006 - Habitat for Humanity, Hawaii
2003 - Adopted families for Thanksgiving and Christmas through the Arundel County
2003 - Collected donated clothes for a battered women's shelter, Arundel County